Every creative person is plagued by angsty imaginings from time to time. In the spirit of Halloween, allow me to ramp up the frequency with these truly haunting thoughts.
- Kanye is named Poet Laureate for 2019.
- Use of the Oxford Comma becomes law.
- Your characters continue to talk to you, but they sound like Anthony Scaramucci.
- Recommended word count for a picture book manuscript drops to 24 words. Short words.
- Writing causes eyeball arthritis (and crows feet (around your nose).)
- Editors insist on the return to printed and mailed manuscripts. Slush Mountain!
- You fall in love with your first draft and refuse to revise it.
- You lose your taste for chocolate, Red Vines and grown-up beverages.
- Before you nod off, you tell Alexa your unparalleled idea of a lifetime for safekeeping. She thought you were talking to someone else.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention develop a vaccine to prevent writer’s block. The shots are administered by Nurse Ratched‘s less sweet cousin with a raging case of poison ivy, Nurse Annie Wilkes (from Stephen King’s Misery, remember?)
You say you’re not scared enough yet? Read more haunting thoughts. If you dare!
Eddie discovered one of his childhood’s great truths. Grownups are the real monsters, he thought. ~