My little ginger snaps, let’s fill this page with our favorite quotes about writing.
I’ll get us started.
- There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~ Maya Angelou
- Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~ Pablo Picasso
- Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein
- And I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Robert Frost
- The only that is constant is change. ~ Heraclitus
- Why do we need mirrors when we can see the reflection of our goodness in the way others react to us. ~ Kwame Alexander
- You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child. ~ Dr. Seuss
- Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book. ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
- A sentence should never be cruel and unusual. ~ William C. Burton, attorney
- We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out. ~ Winston Churchill
- Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way. ~ Ray Bradbury
- That is part of the beauty of literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you’re not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Don’t use words too big for the subject. Don’t say ‘infinitely’ when you mean ‘very’; otherwise you’ll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. ~ C. S. Lewis
- Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. ~ Aldous Huxley
- Creativity is an import-export game. It’s not a creation game. ~ Ronald S. Burt
- Clarity begins at home. ~ Edie Schwager, speaker with the American Medical Writers Association
- Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft. ~ Anne Lamott
- If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad. ~ Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage
- Half the trouble in life is caused by pretending there isn’t any. ~ Edith Wharton
- The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
~ George Bernard Shaw