Oh, those childhood memories–rabbit, hobo, gypsy and bat costumes, sugary school parties with little plastic witches and candy pumpkins perched on orange frosted cupcakes, and staying up late for It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. But no memory can compare with the annual candy-coated ritual of trick or treating.
It may not be socially acceptable for a 50-something “kid” to go door-to-door on All Hallows’ Eve, not even one who writes for children, BUT that doesn’t mean trick or treating is entirely out of reach. Check out this list of (entirely treacherous) tricks that can trip up even the most tenacious writer. BUT don’t stop there! A list of tempting treats is ready for all of you, my tiny talented toffee topped wordsmiths and creative caramel apple artists.
- Salty Self Sabotage. I should be further along by now and everybody knows it.
- Jealous Beans. Every writer (minus me) mastered Scrivener in 24 hours.
- Lazy Lolliplops. Thinking about writing is equivalent to fingers on keyboard writing.
- Bitter Gummy Bears. I can hop on Facebook for ten minutes, then hop right off.
- Delusional Lemon Drops. If I finally manage to get published, my life will burst into unicorn shaped rainbow bubbles.
- Goody Gumdrops. Take a 3-day holiday from social media.
- Lickity Split Licorice. Set a timer and give yourself 20 minutes to tidy your desk. Admire. Have a sweet treat.
- Come Away Caramels. Register for a seminar, workshop or conference.
- Candied Dates. Make a date with your most encouraging friend.
- Butterscotch Boosters. Open your file of uplifting notes and enjoy rereading a few.
I got a rock. ~ Charlie Brown
Goody Gumdrops! I think I’ll start organizing the annual retreat! That’s always an uplifting treat (to me and others….I hope).
Great idea, Monica!
Goody Gumdrops! I think I’ll organize the annual writing retreat! That is always an uplifting treat ❤
Thanks, Vicky, for your thought-provoking post. I could be any or all of these at different times in my day, week, etc. I’ll have to watch for them and try to head them off. Have a sweet Halloween.
Thank you for your honesty and feedback. Many treats to you, my friend!
Excellent thoughts Vicky! Clever and wise at the same time!
Thank you so much! I wish you plenty of treats and a happy Halloween!
More sage advice. The Bitter Gummy Bears are my bugaboo.
No kidding! Bitter Gummy Bears stick to your teeth too. Wishing you a treat-filled Halloween, my Friend!
Nicely done. I love this post…full of sweet encouragement.
Thank you, Angela. Wishing you a treat-filled Halloween, my Pretty & Powerful Friend.